The aim of the competition is to hear what students believe Honour Before Honours means to them in the Somerville House context. We are keen to hear your voice through a written essay.
There are two prizes up for grabs:
- Prize for the winning Middle Years entrant is $250, with a word requirement of 600 to 800 words.
- Prize for the winning Senior Years entrant is $250, with a word requirement of 1000 to 1200 words.
To write a winning essay, you will need to:
- have a clear and engaging thesis
- develop a series of compelling and well-supported points
- organise and sequence your ideas logically
- use words and textual features with discernment and precision
- inspire and convince readers with your perspective on our School's values and beliefs
The judging panel will consist of a representative from the Somerville House Foundation, The Old Girls Association and the Head of Department, English. The winning essays will be published in Connections magazine.
Entries are to be emailed to Ms Petrina Gilmore, Director of Philanthropy at PGilmore@somerville.qld.edu.au by 4.00pm on Friday 7 August. Enquiries prior to this deadline can be directed to Ms Nyree Hatzimihail, Student / Careers Counsellor at NHatzimihail@somerville.qld.edu.au.